Tuesday, December 18, 2012

4.5 Organizing Tips For Single Moms (and Dads)

As if being a parent isn't hard enough, rowing the boat alone is no walk in the park. Trying to manage life and constant incoming clutter can be overwhelming for anyone.

Below are 4.5 solid tips that I personally use to manage time, paper, stuff and head clutter.
www.freedigitalphotos.net
  1. Incoming Artwork. This is always my most difficult decision. Who wants to throw away their child's artwork? No Mom in the world. But does throwing "it" away throw away the fact that your child had fun making it? Are we as moms, more connected to the artwork then our children? I know in many cases I am. This purging process will get easier as you go on, and you won't be left making a million decisions years down the road.

    • Don't dispose of artwork in front of your child. 
    • Do not keep doodles on restaurant menus or scrap paper.
    • Display current masterpieces around the house, and once they have had their run, toss them.
  2.  Homework. As a parent of a young grade-schooler I believe it is my job to make sure homework is done correctly and submitted on time. If possible, make sure your child has everything he or she needs for the assignment before they leave their school. Forgetting to bring home a backpack can be a doozy. Empty all items out of their backpack and set your child up at the table, with no distractions to do homework. Once homework is done and checked, place it back into the backpack and leave the backpack by the door where you can see it the next day. 
  3. Read, Sign, Return. Find these items each day when  you empty your child's backpack. Return them the next day with their homework. There is no reason to hang on to these for any period of time, and your child's teacher will appreciate the promptness.
  4. Volunteering. I like to add all my calendar dates to my free Google Calendar. I can check it from my smart phone or online. Any paper or online calendar will do, just remember to save the dates right away. Agreeing to help and actually helping are two very different things!
  5. Toys. Before you know it you will be drowning in your children's toys. Every year I have my son go through his toys with me for donations. Cheap party favors / machine bubbles/ McDonald's toys - toss em. Besides contributing to clutter, they may contain harmful chemicals that could
By following these 4.5 steps you will be on your way to living a less cluttered life! We do have kids - our house will never be "perfect".

To learn more about Collector Care Professional Organizers, visit our website, follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest! 925-548-7750

No comments:

Post a Comment