Thursday, January 31, 2013

Collector Care Interviews "Hoarders" Songwriter Christian Nelson

Christian Nelson Hoarders songwriter and producer
Seattle cutie Christian Nelson
While surfing the internet I came across this funny little ditty called "Hoarders". Folks you have got to listen to this song! I purchased it, and began listening to it on my iphone in the car. The lyrics were so clever that I had to chuckle out loud.
If you are a clutterer you will appreciate this song. If you are an organizer you will appreciate this song. If you have a sense of humor - you will like this song! I couldn't help but to reach out and ask for an interview. I was pleasantly surprised to connect with Christian Nelson, songwriter and aspiring educator, composer and producer of this song.




Rachel: What was your inspiration for the song "Hoarders"?
Christian: Like many people, there are areas of my life in which I exhibit mild hoarding behavior. For example, the back seat and trunk of my car are littered with library materials: books, CDs and DVDs. If I didn't pay at least $10 in late fees each month, I wouldn't feel I was doing my part to support this worthy cause. Though it would be even better if I occasionally read some of the books I check out. I also tend to accumulate piles of magazines and newspapers, especially the local sections, as they have all the good stuff: relevant news, comics, puzzles and Ask Amy…er…rather, the horoscopes. (Does that sound manlier?)
Hence the following line from my song “Hoarders”:
You never know when you might
Need last year's newspapers
That said, my primary inspiration was the A&E reality television series, Hoarders. The first two or three episodes left such an indelible impression on me that the following lines flowed forth with great ease:
I’ve got 10 lifetimes’ worth of supplies
Rotten pumpkins, carrots, lettuce and rice
Kitty litter, rotting meat and some sludge I can’t identify

Rachel: What are your favorite lyrics from the song and why?
Christian:There's something subtly humorous and poignant about the line

Comfort is hard to come by
You've got to save it for later

I think these lyrics most succinctly encapsulate the spirit of the song.
 
Rachel: What type of thought went into the lyrics? How did you gather the information?
Christian: My primary consideration was to capture the absurdity of many extreme hoarding situations, while still being respectful. That said, I couldn’t resist using one of the more amusing sound bites for the song’s intro: https://soundcloud.com/brokenbyclouds/broken-by-clouds-hoarders
Perhaps the song’s greatest shortcoming (aside from shoddy production value) is its presumption that hoarding fills some sort of emotional void. In hindsight, I’m not sure this is an entirely accurate conclusion. I’d be interested to hear what you and/or your readers think of that.

Rachel: What went into making the graphic for the song?
Is that food really spoiled?
Hoarders song image
Slightly aged tangelo
Christian: The food in question is a slightly aged tangelo. I use the present tense because I still have it, all these months later. You should see it now! (Just kidding.)

It was pretty simple, really. I used one of those fancy Ziplock bags you can write on (after cutting away the Ziplock logo, since they didn’t return my calls about sponsoring my music project ~ harrumph!) and took a picture of it in front of a slightly messy fridge. It’s not really as bad as it looks, I swear!

Rachel: Do you watch any of the reality hoarding shows?
Which one?
 
Christian: Only the aforementioned A&E series.

Rachel: Who is your ideal listener?
Christian: Anyone with money and influence! No, no, no…I like to think my music rewards the careful listener, as I only write songs when I have something compelling to say. And/or when I feel compelled to say something. Not always the same thing, to be sure. However, I definitely endeavor to avoid trite sentiments. My songs also tend to “go somewhere”, if you will, via fluctuating musical and lyrical dynamics.
Lastly, the inveterate critic within wishes to add that “Hoarders” was the first song I recorded on my own, using GarageBand software. Fitting, in that my incompetence necessitated throwing everything and the kitchen sink into this “Wall of Filth” demo. One can see the progress I’ve made by listening to the much more streamlined “The Universe Loves Me”. https://soundcloud.com/brokenbyclouds/the-universe-loves-me



Christian Nelson is a songwriter and aspiring educator born and raised in the vicinity of Seattle, Washington. His solo recording project is called Broken by Clouds. He currently works at a teen emergency shelter, as well as a K-5 after-school program. 





“Like” Broken by Clouds on Facebook, to keep up to date on new songs and upcoming performances: https://www.facebook.com/BrokenByClouds 

Purchase Broken by Clouds’ first full-length compilation, Infinite Mortality, for $4.99: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/brokenbyclouds5

Rachel Seavey, Professional Organizer
I am located in Pleasanton Ca, and serve the San Francisco Bay Area.
I specialize in Hoarding Disorder, Chronic Disorganization and helping the overwhelmed with clutter. I love what I do, and I provide realistic expectations and timelines. Don't suffer in chaos any  more. Every breath is a new beginning! Please visit my site at www.collectorcare.com
Tweet me on Twitter : Like my Facebook page : Find me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment