Tuesday, September 23, 2014

3 Tips to Help With
Disorganization While Depressed

You have had a bad week, month, year, decade. We get it. We have been there. I won't go there on this blog, but let me tell you Collectors that most of our team members have been depressed at one point in their lives. It's easy to help when you can empathize.

Times stops, and all along you are acquiring and burying yourselves mentally and physically into the trenches. You have now emerged and have no idea where to begin. You are overwhelmed, embarrassed, shameful, resentful, angry, sad, and fearful. Just know that you are not alone.

Thank you to www.freedigitalphotos.net
"Even Helen Keller knows life stinks." - Marshall Mathers
Many of our Clients feel like you. Depression is absolutely a huge clutter factor. I can go into my office and pull all the statistics from the many books I collect on the subject. I can explain away until I am blue in the face. You will either get it or you wont. Instead of telling you all of the facts, I would like to provide you with some tips to help you on your journey with tackling clutter. I am not a doctor, I am not qualified to diagnose, or prescribe drugs (thank goodness!) Please seek professional help for your depression. These tips do not replace therapy, CBT, SSRI's etc. They are specifically geared to help you clear clutter while you are in a funk.

  1. Open up your windows and doors and get some sunlight in.  I know you are embarrassed, what will THOSE neighbors think? Who cares. Do it bright and early with sunrise if you are hesitant. I can't tell you how many times I walk into your homes and it's like a dark cave. You have towers of clutter, multiple methods of covering your windows and your doors might barely open. Just let a crack of sunshine in. Soak up that vitamin D. Like a cat, relish in it. It's really good for you and your home to have fresh air and sunlight. (Google Seasonal Affective Disorder.) UV rays kill germs (Google Ultraviolet Germicidal Irradiation).
  2. Affirm. It's hard to be good to yourself at this moment. Look at yourself in one of your multiple dusty, cobweb encrusted mirrors and tell yourself you deserve a good life. Look yourself in the eye. Look into your own soul and say out loud "I deserve a great life". Every time you take out the trash, shred a letter, or clean the cat box - pat yourself on the back. Celebrate and affirm every step you take to creating that great life you deserve.
    www.freedigitalphotos.net rocks
  3. Ask for help. This is not easy. If you don't have supportive family or friends, I would suggest hiring a Professional Organizer. More specifically, hire an ICD trained Professional Organizer by going to the Institute for Challenging Disorganization website. You want someone who is insured, and specializes in Chronic Disorganization and/or Hoarding Disorder. Call and ask a lot of questions and take your time finding the right fit.

Know in your heart that you can make it. You are a survivor, and you can do it. You will come out of this heart wrenching state and you will come out strong.

The next time you feel like acquiring something to make yourself feel better, try doing the steps above instead. I know they are all hard to do, but they are manageable. Start with step one. It might take you a while to get to step two. Step three is the hardest, but once you meet that special helper, you will regret you had not reached out before.

Warm wishes and the best of luck to you Dear Collectors.
I know you can do it!

Rachel Seavey, Professional Organizer and Owner of Collector Care.
www.collectorcare.com 925-548-7750 SF Bay Area & Worldwide

#collectorCareCares

3 comments:

  1. Great tips, and as you said, none of these are substitutes for getting diagnosed and treated by a professional in health issues. They're just a guide to recognize how can we deal in those cases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nacho, it's amazing as an organizer to get to work with so many different folks with so many different strokes. Our commitment to our code of ethics allows us to be that shoulder to lean on, without the obligation to diagnose or medicate. I love being in this position. I love being able to be in the trenches with my Clients when they are at their best and their worst. It's an honor, a privilege, to be in their homes, and in their shoes. No holds barred. It's raw, it's real.
    Thank you for commenting on my blog and for understanding that I just write about what I see and feel. I write for Collectors to show them that they are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, very good tips. Anyone who is suffering from depression should know they aren't invisible. There are people who are waiting to listen and help.

    ReplyDelete