Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Collector Care Interviews Organizing Extraordinaire Peter Walsh

You may have seen this handsome Australian American on the TLC hit show "Extreme Clutter", or heard his enchanting voice on the radio. He is a compassionate helper, an amazing organizer and absolutely the kindest for allowing me to interview him on our blog. Folks, let's get a round of applause for Peter Walsh!

Rachel:  At this moment in time, who would you most like to get (free) advice from and why?

Peter: Hmm - great question! I'd like to get free advice from any social media guru and I'm sure there are things in that domain that I could be doing more effectively.

Rachel:  Define success and name a few people you think are successful.

Peter: I think that many people forego success and happiness because when it arrives it doesn't look the way they expected it to look. I think success has to be defined as being firmly in the present with a balanced and reasonable set of expectations. From this perspective, then, success is something that is first achieved internally and not assessed by external criteria. So, for me, another person's success is determined by them, not by me.

Rachel: I'm a new business owner trying to grow my organizing business. What are 3 things you wish you'd done differently when you first started your organizing business?

Peter: I wish I'd spoken with more professional organizers to get some broader perspectives on the profession. I wish I'd embraced social media earlier and more aggressively.
I wish I'd realized that 20% of a job usually takes 80% of the effort.

Rachel: By my standards you are a very successful person; a brand. Would you share some of the types of support you have in place to keep the Peter Walsh brand going strong?

Peter: Sure - I have a very clear vision for my brand, what it is, what it represents and how it presents itself. I call this 'brand intention'. I don't do anything that doesn't align with that. I answer every email that comes to me myself. I delegate wherever possible. I make every effort to work with and to employ people who are much smarter than I am.

As well as his work on TV he has written a few best-selling books about clutter and organization. His first (and favorite) is “It’s All Too Much: An Easy Plan for Living a Richer Life with Less Stuff”. He is now also designing some cool organizational products and hosting a national radio program. This all keeps him busy when he is not travelling or helping people turn their clutter and chaos into calm.


Rachel Seavey, Professional Organizer At Collector Care
Collector Care  serves the San Francisco Bay Area. We specialize in clearing clutter, hoarding disorder, and chronic disorganization.
We  love what we do, and  provide realistic expectations and timelines.


Please visit our website at www.collectorcare.com  or call 925-548-7750
Tweet us on Twitter : Like our Facebook page : Pin us on Pinterest


5 comments:

  1. What a great interview, Rachel. I love your questions about success, advice and branding, and Peter's responses. He's very clear about who he is and it comes through in his answers. Peter will be joining us next month on my blog, The Other Side of Organized, when I interview him for the "Ask the Expert" feature. We'll be talking about clutter. I hope you'll stop by to participate in the conversation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, Thank you so much for your support. It means a lot to me. I would love to stop by your blog and participate, thank you for the invite. In addition, I look forward to having you featured here on the Collector Care blog very soon.
      Rachel

      Delete
    2. Great, Rachel! Come by anytime. We're talking about "letting go" this month. Hope you'll stop by to join us. Thank you for the invite to be featured here on your blog. It will be an honor. Looking forward to it...and to seeing you in New Orleans.

      Delete
  2. As a new organizer, I am so happy to have ongoing support from so many veterans. I am truly in a profession that is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peter Walsh is hot.

    ReplyDelete