Wednesday, November 25, 2015

What is your relationship with stuff?

I grew up poor. So poor that my mother put on sock puppet shows as a birthday present. So poor we slept on couches, and in peoples garages.

As a child, I rarely had new toys, always hand-me-downs, garage sale, and second hand store dolls. I still have the first new toy I ever got, I was around 6 years old and my mom got me a bear at Walmart for $8. This was a very big deal. I have had him for almost 30 years, and he has been re-stuffed along the way. His name is Clark.

As a teen, I never had designer jeans (back then it was Guess with triangle on the back pocket), I had never traveled to anywhere nice (most my friends had gone out of the country several times), I never had extra movie money.

I was resentful towards stuff. I was too poor to have stuff. We only had necessities. We had to travel light. I wanted that new Barbie. I wanted a fancy dress. I hated that we could not afford the things my other friends so easily had.  I hated that I never fit in, never had the perfect outfit or expensive hair style.

Now that I am all grown up I have a much different relationship with stuff. I still want that fancy dress, but it no longer defines who I am. I respect stuff. I work so hard for my money Collectors, that when I buy stuff it has to be something I will really use or love.

I have had this private discussion with my Clients. It's interesting that some of them have gone the complete opposite direction. They grew up poor so gosh darn it if they aren't going to buy everything they want. They grew up poor!! Filling their homes up with new items that will never be used, just so they don't feel like they did growing up, just to fit in. Crowding themselves out of their own homes with stuff, just because now they can afford it. Suffocating themselves and drowning in stuff, just to feel good about themselves. Does this sound like you?

Dig deeper on why you fill your home with stuff. How did you grow up as a child? What was your relationship to stuff back then? How were your parents on stuff? Do you buy stuff to drown out uncomfortable feelings? The more you learn about yourself, and why you clutter, the more you will be able to let go.

Until next time Collectors!

Rachel


Rachel Seavey, Collector Care
Owner & Blogger

Need help going through all that stuff? Are you completely overwhelmed and want your home back?
Collector Care Professional Organizers & Cleaners are here to help!

Give us a call 925-548-7750 or visit our website at www.collectorcare.com

#collectorCareCares

Licensed, Bonded, Insured, Discreet

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I mean I take too much courage to make peace with not so great relationships and you girl are brave to share with us about your life. I applaud you and feel so proud of having you among my friends. Fantastic post.

    ReplyDelete