Thursday, December 27, 2012

5 Tips On Keeping Your Car Organized As A Single Mom

Whether you are a single parent or not, we all know that having kids means
having to bring a lot with us.

Added expenses such as snack stops, and entertainment add up. Below are five tips that I use personally to stay organized and prepared when my little one is in the car. Don't get caught spending time or money on items that you can have right at your fingertips. I like to keep one bag in the trunk full of all of the following. Before we embark, I grab what I need for that specific outing.


  1. Snacks. Bring snacks that travel well and won't spoil. I like to bring a box of crackers (the box will protect), fruit snacks (lasts about two months) and bottled water is a must. Keep a handful of small garbage bags in your glove disposal box to have on hand for trash.
  2. Games. Interactive games like "eye spy" or singing together is a great way to kill time in the car. I have been known to bring an iPad on long trips. There are a lot of free educational apps to chose from. Bring a book your child hasn't read yet. This will either keep them engaged or put them to sleep (depending on your motive).
  3. Music. Satellite radio has Kids Place Live and Radio Disney. Bring music that both you and your child like. Don't get stuck listening to Barney over and over. It's okay to mix in music that you like as long as it's appropriate.
  4. Wipes. No matter what brand, antibacterial or not, please don't forget the wipes! Your children's hands are disgusting, let's face it! Whether it be a juicy strawberry mess or a nose picking frenzy, having wipes at hand is a beautiful thing. I just wish they made a size that fit in your car cup holder.
  5. Safety. Always take your car in for maintenance to avoid annoying situations. Make sure you have at least a half of a tank of gas. Your child is in the car, there is no reason why you should run out of gas. Adjust your child's car seat and harness each time they get into the car. Bulky sweaters can make for tight squeezes as swimming suits can leave straps loose and dangerous. Always have your cell phone charged and with you. When is the last time you saw a working payphone in the Bay Area?!
Another great thing I do is "pump and dump"! Every time I go get gas, I purge all garbage out of the car. It' s an extra bonus if I have time to run it through the car wash. I am on a ROLL if I can vacuum it out at the self serve there too. Try it out folks. It will make your drive and life much more pleasant.
From my car to yours folks!

Rachel Seavey, Professional Organizer
I am located in Pleasanton Ca, and serve the San Francisco Bay Area.
I specialize in Hoarding Disorder, Chronic Disorganization and helping the overwhelmed with clutter. I love what I do, and I provide realistic expectations and timelines. Don't suffer in chaos any  more. Every breath is a new beginning! Please visit my site at www.collectorcare.com
Tweet me on Twitter : Like my Facebook page : Find me on Pinterest

1 comment:

  1. Great article. I will be experiencing many of these issues as well..


    Visit my web blog

    ReplyDelete